Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Beginning of Forever

I know, I know, I gave in to a blog. It seems that every newly married couple always gets a blog. I don’t want to be cliché or anything, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be a good way to keep a little journal of our family and what we are up to. I thought this would also be a fun way for family to stay involved in our lives even while we are not living close. And since my husband is working on getting his master's degree right now, I happen to have some spare time on my hands while he is studying at night.

Alexis:
A little about us… We are the Parkers. We were married on August 24, 2013. We actually met over two years ago at BYU New Student Orientation. It was my first day as a freshman and Brent was a Y Group Leader. He wasn't my Y Group Leader, but that was the first time he saw me, right there on the BYU Helaman Fields. Classic. I didn't see him until later that night at my apartment complex's sand volleyball courts. The moment I saw him I thought he was so handsome! We were there with a big group playing volleyball, but I had my eyes on only him from the moment we walked on the court.

Brent:
I was so excited when I saw this beautiful girl walk onto the volleyball court, because it was the same girl I had seen earlier that day, but never got a chance to talk to. After the volleyball game was over, I made my way over to her and started making small talk to find out her name was Alexis. Once we began talking, her older brother, who was also living at her same apartment complex, started talking to us. I just felt awkward hitting on a freshman girl right in front of her brother, so I backed off and left. I asked my friend, who was in Alexis’ ward, to set me up with her.

Alexis:
When Brent came up and started talking to me on the volleyball court, I was so excited. It was my first day at BYU, and I already had the hottest guy on campus talking to me. I thought my whole BYU experience was already complete. Little did I know, it would take a whole year and a half before we went on our first date.

The timing simply wasn’t right. He would try to ask me out but I was dating someone, and when I was ready to go out with him, he was dating someone. We both knew we wanted to go out with each other, but it put us in this awkward situation because it never seemed to work out. That made things really awkward between us (along with some facebook message, but that’s a story for another day). Whenever I would see Brent on campus, I would turn and walk the other way to avoid the awkwardness of the situation. And I could tell Brent would do the same thing.

After many miraculous experiences had taken place, and the Lord’s hand definitely guiding us both, I moved into Brent’s old ward and became roommates with some of his friends. I told my roommate that I knew Brent Parker but that things were so awkward between us that I hoped I never had to see him for the rest of my time at BYU. Little did I know, I would soon fall head over heels for him.

Brent:
I remember at one concert party on a Friday night seeing Alexis there with my friend/her roommate. It was funny because right when I saw her walk in and see me, she immediately turned around to leave. Her roommate pulled her back in and brought her up to “introduce” her to me. We started talking (pretending like we didn’t know each other) and really hit things off again. We saw each other several other times in that weekend and seemed to always show up at the same parties, every time always seeming to only find each other. The spark was rekindled and I knew I had to ask her out again.

To make a long story short, I got up the courage a week later and called and asked her out. And she said no. We won’t go into the details, but all I know is she was already going out with a different guy. I tried a few more times before I finally got a first date. I was not letting her go this time.

From the moment we went on our first date, things just felt so right. We both had so many dating experiences to know what it was not supposed to feel like. But this was different than ever before. It just felt right.

first date: Zupas and the Boat Show 

Our Valentine's Date: picked up Cheesecake Factory to go and ate it at a spot overlooking Utah County. This is when I first knew there was something special about Brent. 

Many fun dates including sledding in Midway 

classic library date

Conference Weekend

Tim McGraw Concert 

our favorite date: dominoes $6 thin crust pizza at the park 

On June 15, 2013, at the Draper LDS Temple...



...Brent got down on one knee and asked me to be his forever.

2 comments:

  1. Alexis! love it! :) We NEED to go to lunch or hang out or something when you are in the valley!! :) Love you tons! So happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cuties!! I never knew you guys were "awkward" friends first. hahaha love this

    ReplyDelete